Tuesday, July 27, 2010

About Tara...

My name is Tara Beth Oates. I am a 25 year old native to Columbia, South Carolina. About 5 years ago, I was a junior Clemson University majoring in Sociology with an emphasis in Social Work. During this year, Jesus began seriously molding my heart for kids who happen to not have a home, food to eat, clothes, parents, education, consistent love, attention, affection, or opportunity. I began asking the Lord about this. Shortly after I graduated in 2007, I went to Nicaragua; where I volunteered for 13 weeks in two different orphanages. I saw how children were provided for and loved; children who had been abused, discarded, treated as if they were nothing, in an environment where they could thrive and be who Father God created them to be. I knew this type of work is what Jesus had planned for me. In 2009, I went to Honduras to be the third grade teacher at Lake Yojoa Bilingual School. My heart was completely won over by the culture, language, and people of Pena Blanca, Honduras and the Lord was confirming me to remain in Honduras. In March 2010, I met Peter Hogencamp. I met Peter through Chris Rivera, who pastors Calvary Chapel, the church I attend in Honduras. Peter shared the vision the Lord had given him about "Mountains of Dreams: A Children's Village" and my heart began to understand why (in December) Jesus was confirming me to remain in Honduras. After the school year ended in June, I came back to the U.S. to raise funds and support. I plan to return to Honduras in September.
The Lord is very clear in Scripture about how He feels for orphans and children in general. He says, "let the little ones come, for Heaven belongs to such as these," and "you must become like one of these children". He goes on to say, "do not hinder a child of mine" and finally, a verse that Peter holds strong to, James 1:27 "Pure, undefiled religion is taking care of orphans and widows in their times of distress." We feel this is the Lord's vision and He asked us to be a part of that vision. Please pray with us that the children will come!!!

1 comment:

  1. My Sunday School class prays for you faithfully, Tara as you serve the Lord by serving His little children.

    Jean
    First Baptist Indian Trail

    ReplyDelete